Read the new ReputationUP Coach guide and find out what duplicate URLs in Google are and how to detect duplicate content on the web [GUIDE].
What are duplicate URLs in Google?
To understand what duplicate content in Google is, let’s first talk about duplicate content for the search engine.
Why? Because the content appears so many times that it might confuse the Google search engine.
It affects ranking and makes it difficult to spot the best option to show in the top positions.
As for URLs, Google Search Console highlights in its report:
“A duplicate link is a link from the same source URL to the same target URL, after removal of all parameters and other normalization.”
So the duplicate URLs may look different, but they take you to the same website. For example:
Thus, you may wonder: what is the problem? The fact is that Google‘s search engine treats them like six different types of content.
Consequently, when Google comes across the same content from two different URLs: reputationup.coach.com and https://reputationup.coach.com, it might handle them as duplicates.
How to spot duplicates in Google?
To view duplicate URLs in Google, you should be aware that you need to verify the ownership of your domain in the Google Search Console tool.
What is Google Search Console? It is a free Google app that helps you optimize and troubleshoot your website’s presence in Google search results.
How does it work? Enter the mentioned Google Search Console page.
Then, choose the type of website property.
- Enter the URL of your domain;
- Once done, a box will appear asking you to verify ownership;
- Click on “recommended method” and download the HTML verification file;
- Then follow all the steps and confirm you are not a robot;
- Enter your file control panel or file manager and select it on your computer; you will find it in your Downloads folder. The file name always begins with the word Google;
- Once you have downloaded it, you can see it at point three in the image above;
- Once done, click on “verify.”
When you finish this process, you can add your domain to your Google Search Console, add a property and enter the different URLs of your page.
For example, if your website has multiple languages, you can set up the most suitable address:
- English: https://reputationup.coach/
- Spanish: https://reputationup.coach/es/
Thus, you will also view existing duplicate URLs.
What is duplicate data?
Generally, duplicate data is identical or similar content found on one or multiple pages.
There are two types of duplicate content: internal and external.
- Internal duplicate content is mainly due to a technical misuse of the URL or poor content management.
- External duplicate content occurs when your website content appears in different URLs or web pages.
How to detect duplicate URLs
In addition to Google Search Console, you may use different tools to spot duplicate URLs.
Here are three user-friendly tools that you can get for free:
- Siteliner: it detects duplicate content on your web page, highlighting both the content and the duplicate URLs.
- Copyscape: free version tool that allows spotting duplicate content on other web pages.
- PlagSpotter: this free tool detects duplicate content and URLs from addresses that have duplicated your content.
Detecting duplicate URLs and content is essential for developing SEO and marketing funnel.
The Internet facilitates our lives by providing us with free services.
But, it is no secret that free services often turn out to be inefficient.
For this reason, professionals like ReputationUP Coach help you define a strategy and determine the steps to achieve the pre-defined marketing goals.
How do you know if a page has duplicate content?
By using the tools mentioned in the previous paragraphs, you can extract a wealth of information.
You can find it out just by typing in the Google search engine.
You will see that many pages have the same content with different URLs.
They could even have the same URL and content, but these mainly belong to the same company.
That is, they might have different domain extensions when the main web page has multiple language versions.
How do I know if there are duplicates on my website?
As shown throughout the text, Google Search Console allows you to spot duplicate content on your web page.
This tool shows you this type of information and helps you optimize your site and improve ranking.
The control panel will allow you to find all the data about your domain, know the latest events, and above all, receive an alert any time a duplicate appears.
But usually, this platform cannot verify all domains, so the best thing you can do is count on ReputationUP Coach.
In addition to verifying these types of information, it also works on your SEO positioning to attract more customers and increase sales revenue.
What is a canonical URL?
A canonical URL is a technical solution to combat duplicates.
For this reason, Google decided in 2009 to create the so-called canonical tags, to eliminate multiple URLs.
“If your site has identical or vastly similar content that’s accessible through multiple URLs, this format provides you with more control over the URL returned in search results.”
Canonical tags, better known as rel = “canonical,” can indicate to Google or another search engine which URL to show in the results.
That might sound confusing, but you are not to blame since it is a specific technical and professional language concept.
However, we can say that a canonical URL is an indicator that helps pick the ideal match when searching your page.
How to fix duplicate content?
It is necessary to delete duplicates, as they could affect your site SEO, that is, your ranking in the Google search engine.
It is an essential step to improve your content strategy.
Let’s see four points to avoid duplicate content.
- As stated, you should insert the iconic tag rel = “canonical” in your HTML page.
- Google allows you to change the URL displayed in the search engine.
This type of activity is named redirect 301, which Google defines as follows:
“This is the best way to ensure that Google Search and people are directed to the correct page.”
- Use Google Search Console to de-index the incorrect URL from the search engine.
- Create a strong foundation for your content, compelling and with valuable site structure, so that you may reach the top positions in search results.
It is essential to know how to solve duplicates and focus on professional content management to develop an effective website strategy.
ReputationUP Coach provides you with this type of service and shares the knowledge with you so that your staff or yourself can learn to handle it optimally.
Reputation Coach provides a control room to this aim, allowing organisations, countries, and professionals to monitor what is happening in real-time.
You will learn how to identify, classify and geolocate information.
How Google Search Console works
We have mentioned the Google Search Console tool many times.
We will outline the most important features of this tool that allows you to:
- Go directly to Google Search Console’s main page and find the most important reports on your site.
Always click on “open report” on the left if you need to get information.
- Inspect URLs by entering the web address directly on the top.
To know a little more in depth the performance of results, that is, the visits your website receives, you can click on “performance.”
How does Google penalize duplicate content?
Everyone is asking the same question about duplicate content.
John Mueller, the current Google webmaster trends analyst, has cleared up all kinds of doubts on this topic.
In the interview published on YouTube by Google Search Console, webmaster trends analyst John Mueller states:
“With that kind of duplicate content, it’s not so much that there’s a negative score associated with it.”
He also adds that:
“If we find exactly the same information on multiple pages on the web and someone searches specifically for that piece of information, then we’ll try to find the best matching page.”
In other words, Google does not penalize duplicate content or SEO positioning.
And when web traffic is significantly reduced, Google can even de-index your search engine pages, so your whole strategy loses strength.
Through this article, we have learned what duplicate URLs are in Google and how to detect them.
From the text, we can draw the following conclusions:
- Google Search Console is a free application provided by Google to optimize and troubleshoot your ranking.
- Duplicate information is identical or similar content found on the same or multiple pages.
- A canonical URL is a way of specifying that your page is the real one.
- Duplicate content must be fixed so that it does not affect the SEO strategy.
- ● The Google Search Console tool works to solve the duplicate issue and gives you information about your web page.
ReputationUP Coach helps your internal team to be completely autonomous in online reputation management.
They support companies by teaching various marketing modules to increase customer attraction.